Your Exercise Solution (YES)
Movement is the best medicine. But moving can be difficult when your joints hurt. Your Exercise Solution (YES) is a resource to help you create a physical activity routine — based on your specific needs and ability level — with modifications developed and approved by physical therapists.
Use the library of YES exercise videos on the Arthritis Foundation's YouTube channel to create customized, safe and effective workouts with joint-specific modifications developed and approved by physical therapists.
- Stretch just until you feel gentle pulling in your muscles, then hold the stretch.
- The stretch shouldn’t be painful.
- Stretch gently and smoothly. Do not bounce.
- Breathe naturally as you hold the stretch. Don’t hold your breath.
- Repeat stretches as needed, slowly increasing their depth over time.
- Use a resistance band or tube with foam handles. They’re easier to grip.
- Or add foam pipe insulation to bands or tubes to create handles.
- Handles not an option? Opt for resistance tubes. They’re gentler on hands.
- Resistance tubes and bands come in many lengths and resistance levels. Don’t rely on their color to gauge these factors. Manufacturers use different colors to indicate them.
- Try different ones to find the best fit.
- The last few reps in a set should be difficult, but not impossible.
Remembering Pamela Massey
As a physical therapist, Pamela Massey’s service to the arthritis community spanned every level of patient support.Learn More
Walk With Ease Program
The Arthritis Foundation’s six-week walking program is proven to reduce arthritis pain and symptoms while improving your overall health. Learn how the program can work for you.Learn More
Physical Activity Podcasts
Tune in to the Live Yes! With Arthritis Podcast to hear top experts discuss a variety of fitness topics — from the benefits of tai chi and yoga to real-world strategies for staying motivated.Tune In
Physical Activity Webinars
Get fitness experts’ advice, tips and modifications to make your workouts work best for you. Watch the educational webinars now to learn how to be physically active without harming your joints.Watch Now
American Physical Therapy Association
Partnering to Promote Physical Activity
The American Physical Therapy Association has teamed up with the Arthritis Foundation to optimize movement and transform society.Learn More
"It's a gift that I'm feeling so good."
After years of being unable to do anything, Stacy Courtnay uses exercise and complementary therapies to help manage her arthritis.Learn More
Yoga Helps Her Manage RA & Enjoy Life
Developing a yoga practice influenced not only Eugenia Esquivel’s ability to move, but also her overall mindset and approach to life.Learn More
Your Exercise Solution Partners
Our YES exercise videos were made possible by generous donations to the Pamela Massey Patient Partner Resources Fund, the American Physical Therapy Association and Voltaren Arthritis Pain Gel.
Take the First Step to Get Moving
Before you customize a physical activity routine that’s just right for you, download the e-book: A Guide to Happy Feet. Learn ways to protect your feet, what to look for in shoe choices and more. It’s the first step to getting and staying active.