Upper Body Strength Workout
Use these simple but effective workouts to strengthen your arms, back and shoulders. Learn seated bicep curls, seated rows with resistance bands and more.
Seated Biceps Curl With Weights
- Sit in a chair, holding weights at your sides, palms facing upward, bend your elbows, bringing your hands up.
- Keeping your arms by your sides, lower your hands slowly and repeat.
Seated Horizontal Arm Pull With Resistance Band
Strengthens upper back, shoulder and arm muscles
- Gripping an exercise band, extend arms forward, palms down.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together while pulling your arms out to the side.
- Slowly return to starting position and repeat.
Seated Row With Resistance Band
Strengthens upper back, chest, shoulder and arm muscles
- Sit up straight and tall with knees slightly bent, and with exercise tubing or a resistance band looped around your feet.
- Tighten abs, squeeze your shoulder blades together.
- Pull on the tubing as you bring your elbows back slowly, squeezing your shoulder blades together.
- Slowly return to the starting position.
Seated Up-Down Arm Pulls With Resistance Band
Strengthens biceps, triceps and shoulder muscles
- Sit down, holding an exercise band in both hands with elbows at your side.
- Slowly straighten one elbow while bending the other.
- Keep wrists straight and upper body still as you alternate the position of your arms.
- Repeat several times.
Seated Boxing With Resistance Band
Strengthens shoulder muscles and triceps
- Sit in a chair. Loop an exercise band behind you and across your shoulder blades, holding one end of the band in each hand with your arms resting at your sides, elbows bent and palms facing each other.
- Raise one arm out while straightening your elbow and turning the palm down.
- Rest that arm, then repeat with other arm in a boxing motion.
Stay in the Know. Live in the Yes.
Get involved with the arthritis community. Tell us a little about yourself and, based on your interests, you’ll receive emails packed with the latest information and resources to live your best life and connect with others.