Standing Hip Flexors and Quadriceps Stretches
PRECAUTION: Be careful to maintain your balance. Hold onto a stable object (a chair, railing, wall, tree or counter) while doing this exercise.
PRECAUTION: If you have had recent joint surgery, then check with your doctor before doing this exercise.
This exercise will stretch your hip flexors (muscles on the front of your hips and upper thighs) and your quadriceps (muscles on the front of your thighs).
- Step forward with your left foot, keeping your right knee bent.
- Tuck your buttocks tightly under your hips.
- You will feel a stretch on the front of your right hip and upper thigh.
- Hold and then repeat with your left leg.
- Stretch just until you feel gentle pulling in your muscle, and then hold the stretch in that position. The stretch shouldn’t be painful.
- Stretch gently and smoothly, and do not bounce.
- Breathe naturally as you hold the stretches. Don’t hold your breath.