Lower Body Stretches
Keep your muscles loose and limber with these great lower body stretches. Learn the knee-to-chest stretch, seated butterfly stretch and more.
Stretches the quadriceps and muscles around the hips and knees
- Brace yourself against the back of a chair or a wall with one hand and bend the opposite knee.
- Grab your leg just above the ankle and pull it backwards toward your buttocks, letting that knee drop toward the other.
- With your tummy tight, buttocks tucked, hold.
- Relax, then switch legs.
Stretches lower back, hip muscles and buttocks
- Lie on your back with your knees bent.
- Bring one knee into your hands and gently let your arms pull your knee toward your chest.
- Hold, then lower your bent leg.
- Relax, then repeat with the other leg.
Stretches inner thighs, groin and muscles around the hips and knees
- Sit up straight and tall with your knees bent.
- Drop your legs to the sides and bring the soles of your feet together.
- Grasp your feet and ankles and slowly lean forward, keeping your spine straight.
- Place your elbows on the tops of your thighs and gently press down until you feel a stretch.
- If you want more of a stretch, push down on the thighs with your elbows, to move your knees toward the floor.
Seated Hamstring Stretch
Stretches hamstrings, hips and calves
- Sitting up straight with legs extended in front of you, bend one knee up, then let that leg drop out to the side.
- Bend forward from the hips with your chest up, chin up.
- With your toes pointed up toward your nose on the extended leg, reach toward your toes.
- Hold, then switch legs.
Stay in the Know. Live in the Yes.
Join the Live Yes! Arthritis Network. Tell us a little about yourself and you will receive emails packed with the latest information and resources to live your best life and connect with others.