How to Handle a 504 or IEP Dispute

Learn what to do if you can’t reach an agreement with your child’s school.

How to Handle a 504 or IEP Dispute
You’ve taken the proper steps to get your child the necessary accommodations at school, but your child’s school refuses to follow through. Or perhaps the school system doesn’t think your child needs certain accommodations in his or her IEP (Individualized Education Program) or 504 plan. What should you do? Heidi Konkler-Goldsmith, a Berwyn, Pa., attorney, specializing in civil rights and special education, offers answers to common questions about educational rights disputes.
Common Questions

Q. What should I do if I can’t reach an agreement with the school system or the school system doesn’t comply?

The first thing I recommend parents do is to go up the administrative ladder. If you are unable to work out a satisfactory IEP or 504 plan with the school district person assigned to you, go to that person’s supervisor or go to the superintendent’s office. You really want to exhaust working with the district before you turn to outside help or involve other people. 

Q. If I can’t resolve grievances within the school system on my own, what are my options?

The answer differs depending on which law you are going under and the state where you live. If you are going under IEP, which falls under the Individuals with Disabilities Educational Act (IDEA), your state uses a state administrative process with a hearing officer assigned to the case. If you are under 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, that process is different in every state. Some go through the local school district, some go through a state administrative process and some go through a State Department process.

Reach out to your state education department and figure out what resources they offer for resolving complaints. Some states have options before you file an official complaint, such as a mediation process where an outside mediator comes in and tries to work out a resolution. In Pennsylvania, we have facilitated IEPs or 504s, where someone from the state comes to the IEP or 504 meeting before you need full-on mediation.

Q. If I file a dispute, what will I need to support my case?

You will need documentation to prove that your child needs an accommodation that the school system refuses to provide. This includes notes from treating doctors and the recommendations of outside therapists. In some cases, those professionals might need to testify at an administrative process stating that “they have evaluated the child and to a reasonable degree of medical certainty” agree that the child needs the recommended support or accommodation.  

Q. Will I need a lawyer to file the dispute? If so, how can I find a good one and how much will it cost?

You should have a lawyer to file a due process complaint, or a formal written complaint. The best way to find a lawyer is through other parents who have been in a similar situation. Attorneys can have nice shiny websites, but that might not reflect how they’ll represent you.  You can also check with your local bar association or websites like that have lawyer ratings.

The cost of legal services can vary greatly. Some lawyers charge a flat rate, some charge by the hour and some charge on a contingent basis where they take the risk and you pay them only if you win. Because IDEA and 504 are fee-shifting statutes, you may have attorney fees reimbursed if you hire an attorney and win. You can also request information from your state’s Legal Aid Society and Disability Law Project. Sometimes they can provide referrals to attorneys that work for a reduced or no fee.

Q. How long can I expect the dispute to last?

That also can vary greatly. I’ve had cases that were resolved within a couple of days of making a phone call to the school system. But a case that goes all the way to the Supreme Court, which would be very unlikely, could take years.

Q. How likely am I to win?

The vast majority of these cases settle without going to court. If your case goes to litigation, you have about a 50-50 chance of winning, but your actual chances of winning may be greater or less depending on your case, your school system and the federal circuit you reside in. Some systems are weighted heavily toward the School District, while others are weighted heavily toward parents.

Q. What if I lose?

Don’t give up hope – try again. These are one-year plans, so you’ll have another chance in a year. In the meantime, document any communication from the school having to do with your child’s disability. I recommend sending what I call “Oreo Cookie emails.” Begin the letter with a “thank you,” state the problem and then end it with another “thank you.” For example, “Thank you very much for contacting me about Jimmy’s day at school. You said he had problems copying from the board, so you let him stay in from recess and finish his work. I always appreciate your efforts to help Jimmy keep up. Thank you again.” That way, if the teacher later claims Jimmy doesn’t have a problem, you have an email saying he does. 
Stay in the Know. Live in the Yes.

Join the Live Yes! Arthritis Network. Tell us a little about yourself and you will receive emails packed with the latest information and resources to live your best life and connect with others.

I Want to Contribute
I Need Help
  • Donate


    Every gift to the Arthritis Foundation will help people with arthritis across the U.S. live their best life.

  • Volunteer


    Join us and become a Champion of Yes. There are many volunteer opportunities available.

  • Live Yes! INSIGHTS

    Live Yes! INSIGHTS

    Take part to be among those changing lives today and changing the future of arthritis.

  • Partner


    Proud Partners of the Arthritis Foundation make an annual commitment to directly support the Foundation’s mission.


Ways to Give

Every gift to the Arthritis Foundation will help people with arthritis across the U.S. live their best life. Whether it is supporting cutting-edge research, 24/7 access to one-on-one support, resources and tools for daily living, and more, your gift will be life-changing.

Make a Donation

Help millions of people live with less pain and fund groundbreaking research to discover a cure for this devastating disease. Please, make your urgently-needed donation to the Arthritis Foundation now!

Become a Member

Become an Arthritis Foundation member today for just $20. You'll receive a year's worth of Arthritis Today magazine, access to helpful tools, resources, and more.

Make a Honor or Memorial Gift

Honor a loved one with a meaningful donation to the Arthritis Foundation. We'll send a handwritten card to the honoree or their family notifying them of your thoughtful gift.

Gift Planning

I want information on ways to remember the AF in my will, trust or other financial planning vehicles.


Volunteer Opportunities

The Arthritis Foundation is focused on finding a cure and championing the fight against arthritis with life-changing information, advocacy, science and community. We can only achieve these goals with your help. Strong, outspoken and engaged volunteers will help us conquer arthritis. By getting involved, you become a leader in our organization and help make a difference in the lives of millions. Join us and become a Champion of Yes.

More About Volunteering


Give Just 10 Minutes.

Tell us what matters most to you. Change the future of arthritis.

By taking part in the Live Yes! INSIGHTS assessment, you’ll be among those changing lives today and changing the future of arthritis, for yourself and for 54 million others. And all it takes is just 10 minutes.

Your shared experiences will help:

- Lead to more effective treatments and outcomes
- Develop programs to meet the needs of you and your community
- Shape a powerful agenda that fights for you

Now is the time to make your voice count, for yourself and the entire arthritis community. 

Currently this program is for the adult arthritis community.  Since the needs of the juvenile arthritis (JA) community are unique, we are currently working with experts to develop a customized experience for JA families. 

How are you changing the future?

By sharing your experience, you’re showing decision-makers the realities of living with arthritis, paving the way for change. You’re helping break down barriers to care, inform research and create resources that make a difference in people’s lives, including your own.

Get Started


Meet Our Partners

As a partner, you will help the Arthritis Foundation provide life-changing resources, science, advocacy and community connections for people with arthritis, the nations leading cause of disability. Join us today and help lead the way as a Champion of Yes.


Our Trailblazers are committed partners ready to lead the way, take action and fight for everyday victories. They contribute $2,000,000 to $2,749,000


Our Visionary partners help us plan for a future that includes a cure for arthritis. These inspired and inventive champions have contributed $1,500,00 to $1,999,999.


Our Pioneers are always ready to explore and find new weapons in the fight against arthritis. They contribute $1,000,000 to $1,499,999.


Our Pacesetters ensure that we can chart the course for a cure for those who live with arthritis. They contribute $500,000 to $999,000.


Our Signature partners make their mark by helping us identify new and meaningful resources for people with arthritis. They contribute $250,000 to $499,999.


Our Supporting partners are active champions who provide encouragement and assistance to the arthritis community. They contribute $100,000 to $249,999.