Tai Chi Shown to Ease Back Pain
By Jennifer Cuthbertson
This Chinese martial art practice is an effective self-care option for back pain
Tai chi Explained
Tai chi Delivers Many Benefits
- Strengthening the muscles in the abdomen and pelvic areas that help support the lower back.
- Improving balance and flexibility .
- Increasing awareness of posture when sitting, standing and walking.
- Decreased stress and anxiety.
- Improved mood.
- Enhanced quality of sleep.
Tai Chi classes are often offered at local YMCAs and recreational centers. A local community college, university or hospital may also provider classes. Check the Arthritis Resource Finder to see what’s available in your area.
If you want to get started at your own pace, you can check out the Arthritis Foundation’s online video Tai Chi: Stretches of the Spine. And, if a continued at-home practice is best for you, you can order the Arthritis Foundation DVD.
Stay in the Know. Live in the Yes.
Get involved with the arthritis community. Tell us a little about yourself and, based on your interests, you’ll receive emails packed with the latest information and resources to live your best life and connect with others.