Scholarship Guidelines and Process
Learn more about the Arthritis Champions Scholarship's application process.
March 31st, 5 pm EST
$5,000 per academic year*
*Eligible scholarship recipients may apply for up to 4 years total; funds to be used towards tuition, books and supplies only, does not cover room and board
Eligibility, all applicants must be:
- A US citizen or a legal and permanent resident of the US
- Diagnosed with rheumatic disease.
- Physician’s Certifying Statement required for scholarship recipients ONLY. Statement must be completed by the applicant’s Rheumatologist, DO, or Nurse Practitioner
- Scholarship recipients will be notified by May 31, 2020 and have 30 days to return completed Physician Certifying Statement to confirm scholarship award
- Classified as an undergraduate, graduate, or medical student at an accredited college or University in the United States for the 2020-2021 academic year
- Enrolled full-time each semester and have completed the full-time units to reapply for the next academic year
- Engaged Arthritis Foundation advocate, fundraiser, participant, volunteer, and/or supporter
Also, all applicants:
- Must currently have a minimum 2.5 grade point average;
- If awarded, must maintain a 2.5 GPA each academic semester (Fall 2020 – Spring 2021)
- If awarded, must be involved publicly with the Arthritis Champions Scholarship and remain active in events and/or programs with the Arthritis Foundation
- Recipients provided a photo/publicity consent form
- Complete online application here
- If you are a Arthritis Champions Scholarship Returning Awardee complete online application here
- Upload PDF of unofficial copy of transcripts in application form - Unofficial or online transcripts must display student name, school name, grades and credit hours for each course, and term in which each course was taken
- Include Arthritis Foundation reference – staff or leadership volunteer with contact information (email and phone). Reference will be contacted to verify involvement with the Arthritis Foundation
- ONLINE APPLICATION
- RELEASE STATEMENT
- ESSAY SECTION
- TRANSCRIPTS - upload PDF directly to application form
Current High School Seniors
If you are awaiting decision on college acceptance, please include college or University information for your top choice school.
Applications are anonymously reviewed based on essay responses – impact of rheumatic disease, educational and future goals, Arthritis Foundation and arthritis community involvement and impact.
- Academic score is also taken into consideration.
- There are no limitations placed on the course of study selected by an eligible applicant.
- Financial need is not considered.
The Arthritis Champions Scholarship program is administered by the Arthritis Foundation. Applications are anonymously reviewed by leadership volunteers on the Arthritis Foundation Scholarship committee and additional volunteers across the country.
Awards are granted without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, gender, disability or national origin.
Applicants will be notified the last week of May 2020. Notifications will be made using the contact information applicants provide in their applications.
Not all eligible applicants to the program will be selected as scholarship recipients.
Payment of Scholarships
Awards will be paid in one installment. Awards will be made payable to the institution for the student.
- There are no guarantees that this scholarship program will be available in subsequent academic years, or that a given recipient will receive the award in subsequent academic years.
- No member of Arthritis Foundation Staff, National Board of Directors, or Arthritis Champions Scholarship Committee, or their immediate family, shall be eligible for a scholarship award.
Apply for your scholarship
The Arthritis Champions Scholarship is awarded annually to deserving students with arthritis or a related rheumatic disease who
- Impact the arthritis community, serving as positive role models and leaders
- Live their best life, while empowering others to do the same