Lee C. Howley Sr. Prize for Arthritis Scientific Research
The 2019 Lee C. Howley Sr. Prize was awarded to Dr. Martin Lotz during the Arthritis Foundation’s Evening of Honors event at the annual Conference of Champions.
The 2019 Lee C. Howley Sr. Prize Recipient
Dr. Lotz of Scripps Research Institute was awarded the $10,000 prize for Arthritis Scientific Research. Since receiving an Arthritis Foundation Investigator Award in 1988, Dr. Lotz has pursued understanding how arthritis develops and ways to stop joint damage before it occurs. His work appears in 13 scientific publications over the past year. Dr. Lotz is an Arthritis Foundation board member and chairs the advisory committee in our OA Center of Excellence.
- A notable impact furthering the mission of the Arthritis Foundation
- An ability to open doors or mobilize volunteers in expanding the presence of the Arthritis Foundation
- Partnership development in the area of mission and/or fundraising
- Highly successful fundraising efforts
- Significance: The research is in alignment with the mission of the Arthritis Foundation, which is focused on finding a cure and championing the fight against arthritis and related diseases with life-changing information, advocacy, science and community.
- Innovation: The study challenges existing paradigms and presents an innovative hypothesis and/or addresses a research gap, accelerates translational research, removes barriers and/or catalyzes the development of the field of arthritis and related diseases. The research develops or employs novel concepts, approaches, methods, tools and/or technologies.
Scientific Professional Sign Up
Stay up-to-date on the latest science funding opportunities, volunteer opportunities and other research collaborations.