How to Avoid Back Injury
Reduce the risk of back pain and injury by following these smart tips.
Twisting at the waist, especially when bending or carrying something, is a prime cause of back injury. Reduce the risk of injury and pain by making sure your hips, knees and shoulders always move in the same direction.
Here are a few other tips to keep in mind during daily activities:
Getting out of bed:
- Roll on your side and bend both knees toward your chest in a loose fetal position.
- Push your upper body into a sitting position, legs over the edge of the bed.
- Stand up, keeping your back straight.
Loading and unloading:
- Keep loads small and close to you.
- Keep a straight back, and use your leg muscles to do most of the work.
- Pivot on your feet to turn around, instead of twisting your upper body.
Shoveling and sweeping:
- Make sure your feet and the buckle on your belt face your shovel or broom.
- Keep your feet moving, and stretch with your arms and back.
Want to read more? Subscribe Now to Arthritis Today!