Quadriceps Strengthening Lying On Your Back
PRECAUTION: If you have osteoporosis or a back compression fracture, then check with your doctor before doing this exercise.
- Bend your left knee and place your left foot flat on the bed or ground.
- Tighten the muscle above your right knee, and bend your right ankle.
- Lift your right leg from a few inches to no higher than your left knee, keeping your knee straight but not locked.
- Hold for a count of 5.
- Lower slowly.
- Repeat 5 times to start, increasing to no more than 30 times.
- Repeat with your left leg.
If you can easily do this exercise 30 times on each side without pain, you can add a 1- to 2-pound strap ankle weight to each leg and do the exercise as described. Start slowly, though, repeating 5 times to start and increasing to more than 30 times on each leg.