Health System Transparency
- Patients increasingly face challenges in accessing health care and dealing with administrative burdens due to the lack of transparency in our health care system.
- Patients don’t understand why health care costs, including out-of-pocket costs, continue to climb, and they fear that health care will become increasingly unaffordable.
- The health care system in its current form doesn’t encourage patient-centered policies. The solution depends on the industry coming together with consumers – avoiding finger pointing or isolating any sector – to identify solutions that will benefit patients and put them first.
- Many sectors of the health care industry affect access to and affordability of prescription drugs for patients.
- An Arthritis Foundation-conducted survey showed that 68 percent of respondents felt their premiums and out-of-pocket costs were not affordable or somewhat affordable.
Arthritis Foundation Position
- The solution to drive greater access and affordability depends on the industry coming together with consumers and avoiding isolating any one sector to identify solutions that will benefit patients and put them first.
- Patients must be fairly represented throughout each decision-making process in the health care marketplace.
- All sectors of the health care industry should coalesce around best practices and shared solutions to reduce barriers to care for patients.
- System-wide transparency is critical to laying the groundwork for policies to be implemented that will make health care work better for patients.
Download and share this information with family, friends, and your legislators!