Development Manager | Salt Lake City, UT
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Full Time | Exempt
POSITION SUMMARY (Basic purpose or primary function of job)
The Development Manager will implement, coordinate and manage cost-effective fundraising activities to assist the local business unit attain its financial goals.This is a sales position where the performance review is largely based upon achieving aggressive annual revenue goals. The position also solicits, trains and manages an effective volunteer base of community leaders to assist in meeting the financial goals. This position acts as liaison between the Arthritis Foundation, its volunteers, and the local community. The Development Manager works closely with the Regional VP, VP Market Development, Senior Development Director, Development Director, Executive Director, Community Engagement Directors, Market Relations Coordinator, CRM support representatives and leadership in all areas of the Foundation, including Development, Marketing and Communications, SLT members, and the Help & Support team.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES (Principal responsibilities or job duties)
1. Revenue Generation: Directly responsible for achieving revenue through assigned fundraising initiatives (Walk to Cure Arthritis, Jingle Bell Run, JA Activities, Social/Gala, Other) which includes utilizing organizational best practices, achieving specific revenue and expense budget, managing the timeline and logistics, leading volunteer recruitment activities and efforts, marketing, and sponsorship solicitation for each event.
2. Office/Administrative: Office related duties (mailings, invoice submissions and tracking, reporting, data entry, etc.) as assigned. Ensures that all administrative support is handled in an accurate and timely fashion (scheduling, ordering materials and supplies, submitting invoices, record keeping, reporting, etc.). Serves as liaison to centralized operations and accounting and follows policies and procedures. Manage the daily preparation and submission of revenue deposits. Learns systems/software needed as needed.
3. Relationship Building: Develop strong networks within the local community. Identify target audiences and build appropriate recruitment and fundraising strategies to successfully recruit, acknowledge, and retain and upgrade event donors/sponsors/teams and participants. Develop a pipeline of new revenue streams, event sponsorships, and volunteer opportunities through relationships, networking, sales calls or other prospecting efforts,
4. Assess and Plan: Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the on-going fundraising initiatives, including fundraising efficiency (cost/expense), community engagement, event potential, and overall success of the event. Develop and implement strategies to enhance growth potential.
5. Collaboration with Mission: Maintain a thorough knowledge of the Arthritis Foundation’s fundraising and mission-based initiatives. Collaborate with mission staffon key activities to ensure mission delivery at all events.
6. Organizational Effectiveness: Proficiency in multiple systems that track and manage revenue generating activities, volunteer leadership (i.e. AFfinity, Donor Drive), and internal systems of the Arthritis Foundation. Prepare and maintain accurate records/data to evaluate cost-effectiveness, profitability, and public awareness of events and/or activities. Activities may include monitoring income/expense budgets, compilation/analysis of event statistics, evaluation of media coverage, researching and analyzing community fundraising potential versus actual revenues, etc.
7. Event Marketing: Collaborate with Marketing & Communications team to oversee local marketing/communications/media relations efforts to drive awareness and community engagement in Arthritis Foundation events.
8. All other duties as assigned by Executive Director
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
1. BA or BS degree or equivalent.
2. 3 to 5 years of prior related work experience, event fundraising in a nonprofit setting.
3. Should be able to demonstrate successful fundraising experience including knowledge of sales best practices and current trends, and knowledge of fundraising tools.
4. Excellent verbal and written communications skills required – the ability to gracefully handle rejection and bounce back assuring goals are met. Strong interpersonal and presentation skills required; ability to cold call, grow local contacts and build and nurture effective business relationships to increase Arthritis Foundation visibility, brand awareness, volunteer staff and revenue.
5. Detail oriented, adaptable, organized and demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple projects and tasks.
6. Must be able to read, comprehend and analyze financial goals and fundraising reports and generate required reports on a timely basis.
Value Added Qualifications:
7. Embraces change and promotes a culture grounded in adaptability.
8. Upbeat, “can-do” demeanor; ability to project empathy and compassion when engaging constituents.
The Arthritis Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
No phone calls, please.