How to Interact with Gatekeepers
Click here for the PDF version of this tip sheet
Gatekeepers are important contacts who may be able to make or break your opportunity to connect with the decision-makers that you need to talk to within a potential partnering organization.
THINGS TO DO:
- Always be honest.
- Establish rapport by taking a genuine interest in the person.
- Be appreciative- acknowledge that you know the person is busy, and express your gratitude for his/her time.
- Obtain the contact information in advance so you don’t have to waste the gatekeeper's time.
- Sound defensive or offended if the gatekeeper asks, “What’s the call about?”
- Overload the gatekeeper with too many questions. Do your homework in advance to narrow down your questions.
- Get long-winded.
- Stretch the truth or exaggerate.
- Claim to know people you do not know.
- Adopt a condescending manner.
- Go ballistic over phone hang-ups.