Become a program leader
Make a Difference! You can help people in your community take control of their arthritis by offering high-quality arthritis exercise and education programs.
The Arthritis Foundation offers 4 programs: Walk With Ease, Tai Chi, Exercise, and Aquatics. Each exercise program is evidence-based, backed by research proving their effectiveness and safety.
To qualify as an instructor, you need to successfully complete an Arthritis Foundation training workshop. While training prerequisites vary per program, you should also meet the following criteria:
- Be willing to commit to teaching at least one class series per year (must teach six class sessions within six months to become certified)
- Have affiliation with a facility approved by the Arthritis Foundation
- Have experience/education in health, exercise or fitness field (Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program)
- Be certified in CPR (Arthritis Foundation Aquatic Program or Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program) and meet basic swim requirements or have lifeguard or water safety/rescue certification (Arthritis Foundation Aquatic Program)
Other desirable characteristics include:
- Personal or professional experience working with people with arthritis or disabilities
- Interest in working with groups
- Interest in health, exercise and a proactive approach to health management
To learn more about hosting a program or becoming an instructor, click here to find an Arthritis Foundation office nearest your or call 800-283-7800.