Become a Program Instructor
Make a Difference! You can help people in your community take control of their arthritis by offering high-quality arthritis exercise and education programs.
The Arthritis Foundation offers online instructor training for two physical activity programs: Walk With Ease and the Exercise Program. These programs are evidence-based, backed by research proving their effectiveness and safety.
To qualify as an instructor, you need to successfully complete an Arthritis Foundation training workshop. Both the Exercise Program and Walk With Ease programs offer online training options. The Exercise Program online training is available on the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA) website at www.afaa.com/arthritisfoundation. To access the Walk With Ease online training, contact your local Arthritis Foundation office.
While training prerequisites vary per program, you should also meet the following criteria:
- Be certified in CPR
- Have experience/education in health, exercise or fitness field (Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program)
- Be willing to commit to teaching at least one class series per year
Other desirable characteristics include:
- Personal or professional experience working with people with arthritis or disabilities
- Interest in working with groups
- Interest in health, exercise and a proactive approach to health management
To learn more about hosting a program or becoming an instructor, click here to find an Arthritis Foundation office nearest your or call 800-283-7800.