Prioritization of Osteoarthritis Research: Next steps
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 24, 2014
Opening Session: Welcome and Charge
4:00 PM Ann Palmer, CEO Arthritis Foundation: Welcome
4:15 PM Amanda Niskar, National Scientific Director: Charge
4:30 PM Persons with ACL Injuries
Session I: Understanding the Challenges for Preventing Osteoarthritis After a Joint Injury: Moderator: Rowland Chang
4:50 PM Joanne Jordan: Overview of post-traumatic osteoarthritis: Mechanisms, natural history and
5:15 PM Stefan Lohmander: ACL injury as a model of post-traumatic OA: The natural history of an ACL
injury and its potential for therapeutic intervention
5:35 PM Scott Rodeo: Therapeutic challenges and unmet needs for prevention and treatment of
6:00 PM Discussion
- What proportion of knee OA does the ACL injury model pertain to?
- Are there other factors (genetic, sociodemographic, anthropometric, etc.) that affect the relationship
between ACL injury and knee OA?
6:30 - 7:00 PM Reception
7:00 PM Dinner
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 25, 2014
Session II: How Pathophysiology of Osteoarthritis Can Inform Treatment Discovery: Moderators: Martin Lotz, Robin Poole and Linda Sandell
8:30 AM Richard Loeser: OA as a “whole joint disorder”
8:45 AM Mary Goldring: Cartilage
9:00 AM Carla Scanzello: Synovium
9:15 AM Steve Goldring: Peri-articular bone
9:30 AM Discussion:
- What are the immediate prospects for pharmacologic intervention?
- Are there specific or unique therapies for post-traumatic OA and the other forms of OA?
- What are the barriers to drug development and implementation?
10:00 AM Coffee Break
Session III: Surgical and Non-surgical Treatment Options for ACL Injury: Moderators: Jo Hannafin and Roy Aaron
10:30 AM Bruce Beynnon: Function of the ACL in knee kinematics
10:45 AM Brian Cole: Surgical approaches to patients with ACL and meniscal injury and return to play
11:00 AM Kurt Spindler: Determinants of surgical outcomes in ACL repairs
11:15 AM Lynn Snyder-Mackler: Non-surgical treatments for ACL injuries
11:30 AM Discussion:
- What are our gaps in knowledge regarding surgical and non-surgical treatment of ACL injuries?
- What are the opportunities for OA prevention strategies?
12:00 PM Lunch
Session IV: Evaluating Osteoarthritis Progression Following ACL Injury: Moderators: David Felson and Xiaojuan Li
1:30 PM Garry Gold: New radiologic techniques for assessing joint tissues
1:45 PM Hollis Potter: Imaging the evolution of OA following joint injury
2:00 PM Virginia Kraus: Biochemical biomarkers for assessing the joint
2:15 PM John Cavanaugh: Kinematic assessment of the joint and post-op rehabilitation
2:30 PM Discussion:
- What biomarkers are ready for validation as predictors and outcome measures in OA clinical trials?
- Can imaging and biological markers be successfully utilized to assess the effects of
- What are the challenges/barriers for the application of the markers for assessing the efficacy of
3:00 PM Break
Session V: Assessing Outcomes in ACL Intervention Studies: Moderators: Joel Block and Cy Frank
4:00 PM Stephen Lyman: Registries: challenges and opportunities for acquiring, accessing and
applying outcomes data
4:15 PM Steve Svoboda: Lessons from the USMA Cohort
4:30 PM George Dodge: In vitro models
4:45 PM Panel Discussion
- How can we design studies to assess the efficacy of therapeutic interventions; are animal studies informative?
- How do we translate ACL injury research into prevention and treatments for people with other forms of joint injury, e.g. shoulder, hip, etc.?
- What are the implications of ACL studies for people with other forms of osteoarthritis?
- How well do the animal models translate to humans?
5:30 PM Conclude for the day – dinner on your own
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 26, 2014
Session VI: Lessons Learned from ACL Studies: Moderators: Freddie Fu and Martha Murray
8:30 AM Sharmila Majumdar: A model for the progression of joint disease following ACL injury
8:45 AM Discussion
9:00 AM Christian Lattermann: Biomarker study after corticosteroid injection into the knee after ACL
9:15 AM Discussion
9:30 AM Scott Rodeo: The ACL Feasibility Trial
9:45 AM Discussion
10:00 – 10:30 AM Break
Session VII: Considerations for the Design of an ACL Intervention Study: Moderators: John Hardin and Gayle Lester
10:30 AM Lee Simon: Pre-competitive Consortium for OA; new outcome measures for OA
10:45 AM Discussion
11:00 AM Jeff Katz and *Elena Losina: Study Design
11:20 AM Discussion
11:30 AM Industry panel: Horizons for OA Drug Development
Panelist: Rocky Tuan, Chair: *Peter Mitchell and *Chandrasekhar Srinivasan (Eli Lilly);
*Gloria Matthews (Genzyme-Sanofi); *Susanne Wang (AbbVie)
- What are challenges in evaluating efficacy of therapeutic agents and approaches?
- What experimental approaches and models (in vitro, animal models, humans, computer
simulations) can be used to establish efficacy?
- What are the regulatory barriers and how can they be overcome?
12:30 PM Closing Session
12:30 PM Amanda Niskar, National Scientific Director Arthritis Foundation: Next Steps
12:40 PM Ann Palmer, CEO: Concluding Remarks
12:45 PM Adjourn
*Subject to change.