Tips for a Stress Free Holiday
The holidays can be an exciting time filled with family, friends, gifts, food and events. The busier the holidays get, the easier it is to get out of your daily health routine. This article will help you enjoy the holidays without putting your health on the backburner.
You Are in Control
The more you push yourself during the holidays, the more your health can suffer, especially if you have arthritis. “Pain can be exacerbated by an overload of so much to do around the holidays,” says Nisha Manek, MD, a rheumatologist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.
Tips to Stay Healthy
- Listen to your body. Overload means something different to each person. Do not compare yourself to the others around you. Rest when you feel the need!
- Spend time on yourself. De-stress and keep your joints moving with activities like winter weather walking and aquatics.
- Plan. Will you be doing cooking this holiday season? Plan your meals and make sure you are giving yourself enough time to make food little by little rather than all at once. Double your recipes so you can have leftovers. It’s not much harder to double ingredients and leftovers are great for the days when you don’t feel well enough to cook. Use ergonomic kitchen tools that are lightweight, have non-slip handles and easy grips. Avoid unnecessary work, buy pre-chopped vegetables or meats. Here is a list of recipes that are delicious and easy to make.
- Shop the easy way. Make sure you are taking advantage of online shopping free shipping deals. You can get all of your shopping done at home! Also, remember that many supermarkets now sell gift cards to a variety of stores at the checkout counter.
- Be prepared. Make sure if you are attending events during the holidays, you are aware of how far you will need to walk at the event, if there is limited seating, if the event will be outdoors, and other accommodations that might need to be made.
Gifts for People with Arthritis
Have a loved one who has arthritis? Besides being supportive of them during this busy time of year, there are several other gifts you can give during the holidays.
- Arthritis Foundation Membership: Your loved one can enjoy a full year of Arthritis Today magazine, our award-winning publication packed with the most current and trustworthy advice from the world's top doctors and arthritis experts. Plus they'll receive our latest Drug Guide and more!
- Massage: There are many benefits to therapeutic massage. Buy your loved one a massage.
- Exercise DVDs: The Arthritis Foundation has many exercise DVDs for people with arthritis. Check out this new DVD, Arthritis-Friendly Yoga, created especially for people who have arthritis or achy joints as a natural way to ease pain, increase strength and flexibility, and improve well-being.
- Ease of Use Gifts: The Arthritis Foundation’s Ease-of-Use Commendation recognizes products proven to make life easier for people who have arthritis and other physical limitations. Independently tested by experts and evaluated by people with arthritis, Ease-of-Use products are easy to use by everyone.
Check out these videos of Arthritis Foundation supporters giving holiday tips: