Education is the key to both prevention and treatment of arthritis. Please help the Chapter share information on arthritis. You can do this as either a Speaker or by hosting an arthritis seminar.
Become a Speakers Bureau Volunteer
Make a real difference in your community by educating your neighbors about the #1 cause of physical disability in the country. Join the Chapter's Speakers Bureau – a corps of volunteers who deliver presentations that debunk prevalent arthritis myths; educate the public about arthritis symptoms, treatment and ways to improve quality of life; and inform the community about AF’s programs, services and resources.
It’s all up to you. You decide how often you want to speak, what towns you are willing to travel to, and what size audience you are comfortable addressing. No previous speaking experience? No problem! We’ll help you get familiar with our standard presentation.
See the full Speakers Bureau Volunteer position description at Volunteer Match.
Request An On-Site Presentation
Did you know that arthritis:
- is the #1 cause of physical disability in the country
- is an umbrella term for a collection of about 120+ diseases (including osteoarthritis, lupus, and fibromyalgia)
- has been doctor-diagnosed in over 50 million American adults; over 5.5 million of those cases are here in CA
- has been doctor-diagnosed in over 300,000 American children; over 38,000 of those cases are here in CA making us the #1 state for juvenile arthritis
- costs the US over $128 billion each year in doctor visits, hospitalizations, surgeries, physical therapy, medication and lost wages
If you are interested in having a Speakers Bureau volunteer come to your site to do a presentation on arthritis, please download and complete our Speakers Bureau Request Form.
Note the comments/requests/guidelines on the first page and return the completed form via email (as an attachment). The information will be forwarded directly to potential speakers. Minimally, we require one month advance notice if your dates are flexible since your request must be coordinated with our volunteers’ schedules. We may need several months’ notice if you’re seeking a specific date/time. We try our best to fulfill every request; the more flexible you can be, the more likely we can fill your request. This form should be sent to us every time you’d like a speaker. Thanks!