Azulfidine, Azulfidine EN-Tabs, Sulfazine, Sulfazine EC
500 mg to 3 grams daily in two to four doses.
Dosages for children: The dosages listed above are those typically prescribed for adults aged 18-65. Dosages for children can vary. Ask your doctor about the appropriate dosage for your child.
Potential Side EffectsHelp
Abdominal discomfort; aching joints; diarrhea; headache; increased sun sensitivity; itching; loss of appetite; nausea; rash; vomiting.
- Drink plenty of fluids while taking this medication.
- Minimize exposure to sunlight and wear sunscreen.
- Take after a meal and with water.
- Your doctor should order periodic blood and urine tests to check for unwanted effects. Before taking any DMARD, tell your doctor if you are planning to become pregnant.
- Sulfasalazine is a sulfa drug. Before taking it, tell your doctor if you are allergic to sulfa drugs or aspirin. Not drinking enough fluids while on this medication can cause crystals to form in your urine. This drug can lower sperm counts and may interfere with conception.
The Arthritis Today Drug Guide is meant for education – not self-medicating. Arthritis Today, the Arthritis Foundation and the Drug Guide Medical Review Panel do not endorse any products mentioned in this guide. While we endeavor to keep the information up to date, we make no representations or warranties about the completeness of the information provided.