Seated Hip Flexors and Quadriceps Stretches
PRECAUTION: If you have had recent joint surgery, then check with your doctor before doing this exercise.
This exercise will stretch your hip flexors (muscles on the front of your hips and upper thighs) and your quadriceps (muscles on the front of your thighs).
- Sit on the side of a stable chair, bench or other low firm surface.
- Gently move your right leg back and behind you.
- Tuck your buttocks tightly under your hips.
- You will feel a stretch on the front of your right hip and upper thigh.
- Slide to the opposite side of the chair.
- Repeat with your left leg.
- Stretch just until you feel gentle pulling in your muscle, and then hold the stretch in that position. The stretch shouldn’t be painful.
- Stretch gently and smoothly, and do not bounce.
- Breathe naturally as you hold the stretches. Don’t hold your breath.