Take Action. Make a Difference. Fight Arthritis. It doesn't matter how you say it: Washington needs to hear that Ignoring Arthritis Is Unacceptable.
April 16-18, 2012
Marriott Crystal Gateway
1700 Jefferson Davis Highway
Arlington, VA 22202
Make Your Voice Heard on Capitol Hill
The annual Advocacy Summit brings together advocates, young and old, from across the country to meet with their Members of Congress. Join us in Washington, D.C. in April to:
- Learn firsthand about our priority advocacy issues.
- Meet face-to-face with your Members of Congress and educate them about arthritis and its devastating effects on the 50 million adults and 300,000 kids with the disease, their families, and our country's economy.
- Let Congress know more needs to be done for people with arthritis.
February 29 - Save money! Last day for early bird registration! Early bird registration is $175 per person with a maximum of $400 per family.
March 15 -Registrations due. No Late Registrations will be Accepted! Regular registration is $225 per person with a maximum of $500 per family.
Confirmation letters will be sent via email. If you do not receive a confirmation within 10 days, we have not received your registration. Please call Ashley Schelske at (202) 887-2913.
Full refunds will be granted to requests received in writing by mail prior to March 22, 2012. Please allow 3-4 weeks for processing.
Meeting With Your Members of Congress and/or Their Staff
Congressional meetings will be scheduled by the Arthritis Foundation for all Advocacy Summit participants to ensure that all participants from a Congressional district or state attend the meetings together. Please DO NOT schedule your own meetings! Congressional meetings will be scheduled in the afternoon on Tuesday, April 17 from 2:30pm-5:30pm and on Wednesday, April 18. between the hours of 9:30am-4:00pm Please be available during these times for Congressional meetings. Do not arrange travel before 6:00 pm on Wednesday, April 18. FLIGHT TIMES SHOULD BE 6:00 PM or LATER.
Please notify the Public Policy and Advocacy Department if you have a special relationship with a particular Member of Congress and would like to have a meeting in that office. Please do not contact the Congressional office on your own. Please email or call the Public Policy Department at (202) 887-2918 or email@example.com.
Business attire is appropriate for visiting Members of Congress and staff on Capitol Hill. Remember that you will be walking a lot, especially on Capitol Hill, so wear comfortable shoes. Temperatures tend to vary in hotel rooms; a jacket or sweater is advised. Also, you may want to bring an umbrella in case of rain. Temperatures in Washington, D.C., in April average a high of 67 and a low of 47.
Monday, April 16
|11:00am-12:30pm||Regional Advocacy Workgroup Meeting|
|11:00am-5:00pm||The Faces of Arthritis Photography Project|
|12:30pm-2:00pm||Working Lunch: Regional Advocacy Committee and PPC|
|2:00pm- 8:00pm||Registration/ Information|
Meet America's Leading Arthritis Scientist
|4:15pm- 4:45pm||Kids' Summit Parent Orientation|
|5:00pm- 6:30pm||Hometown Radio Interviews|
|5:00pm- 7:45pm||Kids' Zone|
|5:15pm- 6:45pm||New Advocate Training|
|5:15pm- 7:45pm||Congressional Insight|
Tuesday, April 17
|7:00am- 6:30pm||Registration/ Information|
|7:30am- 8:15am||Continental Breakfast|
|8:15am- 12:00pm||Kids' Summit|
|8:30am-9:45am||Welcoming and Opening Session|
|10:00am- 12:00pm||Arthritis Advocacy: Preparing for Capitol Hill|
|12:00pm- 2:00pm||Working Advocate Lunch|
|2:00pm- 6:30pm||Hometown Radio Interviews|
|2:30pm- 5:30pm||U.S. Senate Appointments|
|2:30pm- 6:15pm||Advocate Networking Cafe: The Meeting Place|
|6:30pm- 9:00pm||2012 Summit Award Dinner: Celebrating Our Achievements|
|7:00pm- 9:00pm||Kids' Zone|
Wednesday, April 18
|7:00am- 8:30am||Continental Breakfast|
|8:30am- 12:00pm||Hometown Radio Interviews|
|9:30am- 4:00pm||U.S. House of Representatives Appointments|
|10:00am- 5:00pm||Advocacy Networking: The Meeting Place|
Kids with arthritis and their siblings who are currently in kindergarten and older are invited to attend the Summit. Activity sessions specifically designed for children five years old or in kindergarten, including preparation for Capitol Hill visits, will be offered concurrently with sessions for adults. Kids in ninth through twelfth grades will attend the training sessions with their parent(s). All kids must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who also registers for the Advocacy Summit.
Check out some of the highlights from the Kids’ Summit!
The 2012 Advocacy Summit will be held at:
Marriott Crystal Gateway
1700 Jefferson Davis Highway
Arlington, VA 22202
Main Phone: 1-703-920-3230
Main Fax: 1-703-271-5212
Reservations: 1-703-920-3230 ext. 5198
You are responsible for making your own hotel reservations. A special rate of $239.00 for single and double rooms has been established for Summit participants. The special room rate will be available until March 15th or until the group block is sold-out, whichever comes first. Hotel check-in time is 4:00 pm and checkout is 1:00 pm.
The Marriott Crystal Gateway, just minutes away from Reagan National Airport, is located across the Potomac River from Washington D.C. in Arlington, Virginia. The hotel features spacious, well-appointed rooms and suites with superior accommodations including high-speed Internet access. Stay fit at the well equipped fitness center, or take a dip in the indoor, heated pool overlooking the beautiful Washington D.C. area. Hotel policy does not permit pets, with the exception of service animals. The hotel provides free courtesy hotel shuttle between the hotel and Reagan National Airport. The shuttle runs every 15 minutes outside baggage claims five and nine. More information about the hotel is available on the Marriott Crystal Gateway hotel website. Please note: There are many hotels in the area with similar names. Please make sure that you are reserving a room at the Marriott Crystal Gateway.
Air and Train to Washington/Arlington:
Three airports serve the Washington, D.C. area. Reagan National Airport (DCA) is the closest airport to the city, but competitive fares typically can be found into Baltimore-Washington International (BWI) and Washington Dulles (IAD) airports. Washington, D.C. is served by Amtrak at Union Station (WAS), which is a 20 minute taxicab ride to the Marriott Crystal Gateway or accessible via the Metro (subway) system at the Crystal City station.
Ground Transportation Options from Airports:
• Reagan National Airport (DCA) is about 5 minutes from the Marriott Crystal Gateway Hotel. The hotel offers a free courtesy shuttle departing every 15 minutes outside baggage claims five and nine or the taxicab fare is approximately $10.
• Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI) is approximately an hour from the Marriott Crystal Gateway Hotel, and the taxicab fare is approximately $60. SuperShuttle offers door-to door, shared-ride van service; for information and rates on SuperShuttle ground transportation, call 1-800-BLUEVAN. More than 50 trains travel between the BWI rail station and Washington's Union Station, Monday-Friday, and more limited service is available on Saturday and Sunday. More information on other ground transportation options can be found at www.bwiairport.com.
• Dulles Airport (IAD) is approximately 45 minutes to an hour from the Marriott Crystal Gateway Hotel, and the taxicab fare is approximately $45 to $50. Washington Flyer provides bus service to the West Falls Church Metro station on the Orange line in Virginia. For additional information and rates, call toll-free 1-888-WASHFLY or visit their web site at www.washfly.com. SuperShuttle offers door-to door, shared-ride van service; for information and rates on SuperShuttle ground transportation, call 1-800-BLUEVAN. Look for both of these travel options in the baggage claim area.
Transportation will be provided to and from Capitol Hill via Metro. The Arthritis Foundation will also provide a van with a lift. Please indicate on your registration form if you will need the use of a lift into the vans. If you will require a wheelchair or scooter while in Washington, D.C., you are responsible for arranging these services. Listed below are two of the local durable medical equipment providers who will deliver and pickup the equipment from the hotel.
• Spectrum Medical: (301) 587-2992
• Mobility Solutions: (301) 650-0035; (800) 519-0035
Do you have other special needs (i.e. physical, dietary) that we can address to make your conference participation more enjoyable and meaningful? Please complete the appropriate space on the registration form. Specific hotel requests should be made directly with the hotel.