The Arthritis Foundation founded in 1948, is the nation’s largest not-for-profit organization dedicated to the prevention, control and cure of arthritis, the leading cause of disability in the United States and affecting more than 50 million adults and 300,000 children. Arthritis affects the daily activities of approximately 23 million adults. The Foundation has contributed more than $450 million to arthritis research, making it the largest non-profit contributor to that cause. In addition, the Foundation advocates for health care policies, legislation and government-funded research to improve the lives of individuals and families affected by the disease. Through approximately 100 local offices in ten regions across the US, the Arthritis Foundation provides programs, information, and many more resources to help make living with arthritis easier. The Foundation’s annual operating budget exceeds $90 million with major funding from individuals, corporations, and foundations, generated primarily through direct marketing, special events, bequests and major gifts.
The Scientific, Medical Director is the Arthritis Foundation’s top Scientific and Medical Research Officer reporting directly to the President and CEO.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Scientific, Medical Director provides senior leadership for all aspects of the research program including:
- Strategic planning;
- Development and evaluation of all research related programs;
- Communication of progress and results; and
- The oversight of the national peer review system for all grant and contract applications submitted to the Arthritis Foundation.
- Direct management responsibilities for Research Department staff.
- Provides staff leadership to the Research Advocacy Council.
- Leverages medical and scientific insights to inform and develop strategies.
- Develops a 3-year roadmap for scientific research and anticipated investments of time and resources.
- Serves as a disease area scientific and medical expert for internal customers/stakeholders.
- Serves as the leading voice nationally for arthritis research.
- Manages and strengthens relationships with:
- American College of Rheumatology (ACR)
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- The Osteoarthritis Research Society International (OARSI)
- National Institute of Arthritis Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS)
- Responsible for the oversight, and planning for all medical conferences hosted by the Arthritis Foundation.
- Segal North American Osteoarthritis Workshop (SNOW), Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), Others
- Develops and establishes conference agendas;
- Recruits effective and dynamic speakers for conferences;
- Directs the coordination of all conference events;
- Develops and delivers scientific and medical presentations to major donor groups and at Board meetings;
- Conducts webinars for individuals and groups relating to scientific and medical advances in the battle against arthritis.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- M.D. or Ph.D.
- 8-10 years of research experience, preferably in areas relating to immunology, biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics, bioengineering or clinical/translational research, or equivalent pharmaceutical/medical device development experience
- Strategic, analytical, and critical thinking skills are essential.
- Demonstrated leadership experience as well as excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong presentation and verbal/written communication skills
- Proven track record of fostering partnerships and collaborations with various audiences
- Ability and experience communicating scientific and clinical research concepts to both professional and lay audiences. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
- Domestic travel up to 25%. Candidate may be based anywhere in the United States but will work often in the National office located in the Midtown area of Atlanta, Georgia.
- Significant fluency in the use of PowerPoint, Excel and Word required
Interested candidates should submit their Curriculum Vitae, and cover letter with confidential salary requirements to the Vice President of Human Resources at email@example.com or click here to apply online.
The Arthritis Foundation, National Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer.