The Grassroots Advocacy Manager is accountable for designing strategies for grassroots advocacy and leading these initiatives. This includes web and social media strategies, AF public outreach, and communications for advocacy recruitment, cultivation and education.
- Designs strategies for and leads grassroots advocacy initiatives. This includes designing targeted recruitment outreach campaigns for effective political mobilization; leading the Arthritis Providers and Researchers Advocacy Alliance trajectory and initiatives; designing and leading new initiatives for advocacy network recruitment such as developing new materials and utilizing tools like www.arthritis.org to recruit and new volunteer advocates; and leading the Regional Advocacy Workgroup subcommittee on Grassroots Development. Responsible for leading 2020 AF Grassroots Recruitment Plan to achieve stated goals.
- Leads Foundation efforts to establish and cultivate grasstops advocates (Arthritis Ambassadors) capable of high-level outreach to Federal Agencies and State and Federal Legislatures. Builds relationships with potential candidates and strategically employs advocates to influence arthritis-related legislation and research. Manages the Arthritis Ambassador program and coordinates meetings and travel for grasstops advocates visiting Washington, DC.
- Primary responsibility for maintaining and enhancing a working relationship management database of 700 + active volunteers and integrating their volunteer information with congressional information (district, meetings etc.) Primary staff manager and interface with AFinnity and the Ambassador Program (new database).
- Works closely with Coordinator, Advocacy Operations on Web Management duties for Advocacy Department. Strategic director of advocacy web operations while working closely with Coordinator to execute. Closely supervises Advocacy Coordinator regarding CapWiz database management.
- Trains advocates in both effective advocacy and arthritis-related policy and research. Holds regular virtual training sessions for grasstops advocates and Ambassador Program information sessions for grassroots advocates. Initiates and serves as an in-person advocacy trainer at Regional advocacy events. Leads grassroots training and information sessions at multiple Arthritis Foundation events.
- Develops and implements web and social media strategies. Full complement of responsibility including writing, designing and implementing our advocacy/social media strategy and content. Leads the advocacy department’s social media strategies including the use of Twitter and Facebook. Works to maximize the integration of CapWiz, Facebook, Twitter and email outreach to reach advocates where they are.
- Produces Arthritis Foundation public outreach and communications for advocacy recruitment, cultivation and education: Serves as the managing editor of Arthritis Bytes (monthly e-newsletter), uses communication strategies and audience analysis to effectively share knowledge and resources with advocates, utilizes CapWiz for targeted action alerts and outreach, works with Regional Advocacy staff on community-specific projects for the purposes of advocate training and recruitment.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3-5 years’ job experience in a voluntary health agency, government agency, public relations/government relations office, campaign or congressional office, and summer/intern experience.
- Microsoft Office Suite proficient
- Familiarity with use of a CRM tool, similar to Kintera, Team Approach and Capwiz.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills,
- Proofreading skills required.
- Multi-tasker with excellent organizational skills
- Able to exercise independent judgment and decision making within scope.
- Problem solving ability,
- Ability to work in a team environment and collaborate with others.
- Demonstrated knowledge of building and maintaining grassroots movements, strategizing effective use of advocates to lobby Congress, and developing best practices for recruiting, retaining and training advocates.
- Social media skills essential for this position.
Travel: Some Regional travel is required (approx up to 6 times a year).
Submit resume and cover letter with salary requirement to: firstname.lastname@example.org or apply online.
No phone calls please.
Please reference “Grassroots Advocacy Manager” in subject line.
The Arthritis Foundation National Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer