Accountable for planning and executing the Foundation’s legislative agenda focused on influencing Capitol Hill and overseeing the state advocacy issues. The primary presence for the AF before Congress, with a focus on guiding state advocacy issues to improve access to care for people with arthritis.
A significant concentration of the job will call for regular interaction with Affiliate Regions and grassroots advocates to develop and coordinate a national strategy to implement the national and state legislative objectives on behalf of people with arthritis.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field of study is required.
- 3-5 years of Capitol Hill and state government experience or advocacy work in a non-profit, government, or corporate setting as a lobbyist.
- Must have strong interpersonal, advocacy and communication skills
- Ability to travel and work independently.
- Critical to establish, maintain and develop relationships with congressional and executive branch staff.
- As the chief advocate to Congress on behalf of people with arthritis, your focus will be on achieving legislative goals (as determined by the AF) on Capitol Hill by establishing, enhancing and maintaining legislative relationships with key Congressional committees and Members of Congress.
- Develops and executes the state advocacy policy agenda in collaboration with the State Government Affairs Department at the AF.
- Strategically utilizes the State Government Affairs Department and the grassroots advocacy network program to complement DC based advocacy activities.
- Develops and implements effective lobbying techniques and strategies.
- Travel to regions to directly assist in advocacy training and development. (20% of time)
- Writes legislative updates/alerts for internal and external audiences.
- Assists with planning and execution of special events and meetings as required.
- Establishes a Regional Legislative Outreach Plan and provides consultation and technical assistance to regions in advocacy matters related to Federal and state Congressional relations.
- Supervises one other person in State Government Affairs Department.
- Budgeting collaboration with others in Advocacy Department
**Please Include Salary Expectations
Submit resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org or apply online
Please reference “DIRECTOR STATE ADVOCACY” in subject line.
DATE POSTED: Monday, February 17, 2014
Equal Opportunity Employer