Bachelor's degree or higher in journalism, communications or related field required, and additional education or training in medical, health or scientific journalism, communications or patient education a strong plus. Requires minimum six years’ editorial experience in consumer magazines, ideally, or other types of print publications, digital platforms or other vehicles; senior editorial role and some supervisory experience also required.
Candidate must have proven ability to develop concepts and edit copy for consumer audience, plus strong track record writing, reporting, researching and interviewing. A thorough knowledge of editorial conventions and style are essential. Experience in health and/or service content and working with both brief and feature-length content are strong assets.
Excellent planning and organizational skills and a proven ability to multitask and meet and work well under deadlines are required. The ideal candidate will have strong experience in editorial teamwork, magazine editorial planning, editing and writing, with knowledge of magazine publishing, advertising and graphic design. Experience working across platforms, both print and online, as well as using an online content management system are strong assets.
A medical knowledge base, the ability to analyze studies published in professional medical journals and experience interviewing and interacting with medical, clinical and/or scientific experts are strongly preferred.
Must have a collaborative approach to work and ability to work productively across departments. Must have excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, as well as the ability to relate effectively with staff at all levels.
Proficiency in both Mac and PC formats, familiarity with Excel and experience in Adobe InCopy are pluses.
The Executive Editor for Arthritis Today is responsible for overall editorial management of Arthritis Today, resulting in a high-quality consumer magazine. Ensures consistent execution of the magazine’s content and tone, and that the magazine is published in accordance with the highest of journalistic standards of accuracy and integrity. Develops line-ups and content that serves reader needs, reflects the organization’s mission, incorporates its messaging and showcases its work. Supervises editorial staff, oversees the working relationship between editorial and design, and contributes to the strategic management and planning of the magazine, including marketing, circulation and publicity. On a day-to-day basis, responsible for developing line ups, long range planning and ensuring that all articles are on-target as assigned and are delivered on target and meet the magazine’s and Arthritis Foundation’s standards of tone and quality. Supervises select other members of the editorial and art staff. Oversees coordination between Arthritis Today print and online content.
- Oversees content planning and development for each issue of Arthritis Today. Works with editors to ensure a story mix that meets audience needs by including accurate, fresh, timely and relevant stories. Maintains established tone and goals of magazine, adhering to Arthritis Today’s service and empowerment perspectives within the overall established editorial positioning strategy. Ensures a comprehensive and well-rounded balance of content in each issue, with adequate inventory available for substitutions and increased page counts.
- Responsible for content development and implementation for each issue of AT; provides in-depth editorial review on all content for each issue, including hands-on editing, ensuring that articles adhere to original vision and assignment, stories are complete, balanced and accurate, and adhere to all AF principles and guidelines. Works closely with editorial staff to bring story to final version on target for content, quality and clarity.
- Responsible for positively reflecting AF priorities, focus areas and key messages and showcasing its work in AT content.
- Acts as liaison, as needed, with Arthritis Foundation stakeholders and lead staff to stay abreast of key AF-related news, events and initiatives and to facilitate appropriate coverage in AT. Ensures implementation of required actions/inclusions, identifies opportunities.
- Oversees editorial and production processes, reviewing calendar structure and procedures and collaborating with creative director to ensure quality, deadline-driven product.
- Develops long-range plans and cohesive issue line-ups, as well as ideas and concepts for individual articles.
- Oversees content development for the magazine, all aspects of editorial work, assignments and editing. Provides thorough editorial review, top editing and in-depth editing for all content in each issue, guiding editors as needed and reviewing their work.
- Has individual responsibility for departments, as needed, and individual assignments for both features and department-length pieces through out the magazine.
- Works with Editorial Director to develop editorial strategies to meet reader needs as identified in ongoing market research.
- Works closely with creative director and graphic designers. Approves all design, photos and illustrations for editorial relevance, to ensure concept/vision for features and departments, as well as issue overall, is appropriately and optimally reflected.
- Responsible for monitoring accuracy and integrity of editorial product throughout editorial and production process. Vets copy for consistency with established Arthritis Foundation positions, messaging and priorities, as well as and adherence to American Society of Magazine Editor ethical guidelines, as well as for general fairness, balance and ethical issues.
- Plays oversight role in final edit and proof processes for proofreading, fact checking and for follow-through of overall content and quality expectations.
- Co-leads cross-team collaboration and content development, shared with Consumer Health Content and Publications. Oversees coordination between AT print and AT/Living With Arthritis sections of website, , approving online drivers and line ups; writes, assigns and edits, as needed.
- Works across platforms and vehicles, with content development responsibilities extending to websites and other AF publications and products, as needed.
- Ensures strong stable of freelance writers and contributing editors, by identifying and soliciting prospects, on own and in conjunction with editors, conducting outreach, as needed, and ensuring professional relationships with current vendors are strong. Has oversight responsibility for invoicing, contracting and rights management.
- Cultivates new writers and oversees editor-writer assignments, relationships. Ensures timely contracting/invoicing. Troubleshoots, as needed.
- Develops and maintains backlog of articles to facilitate last-minute advertising sales. Maintains current records of all articles purchased, holding and pending. Maintains story ideas files for future issues and background information sources files for current and past issues.
- Responsible for approving editorial placement/changes in imposition, ensuring final line up meets overall magazine and organizational needs. Reviews for adjacency issues, resolving with production and advertising staff.
Please – NO PHONE CALLS
Equal Employment Opportunity